Pine Lake Preparatory continues to grow the educational benefits of service learning. By students having the opportunity to meet the needs of the community, service learning promotes social responsibility, broadens the students' perspectives, and also cultivates interpersonal and leadership skills. All students beginning in Kindergarten learn the value of service projects and that education continues into the middle grades. As a student enters the Upper School, they are required, as individuals, to participate in at least 40 hours per year of service learning projects. 30 hours may be completed during the summer months to count towards their 40 hours. 10 hours must be completed during the school year. Pine Lake Preparatory's service year begins on June 1st and ends on the last day of school in May. For seniors, the hours must be completed and entered prior to April 30th. Complete instructions and service learning opportunities are available through Canvas.
To request more information regarding our service learning program or to post service opportunities please contact Katherine Kwiatkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Complete Service Learning:
Independent Projects -Service Learning hours done for an organization may completed during the summer, after-school hours or weekends or during school breaks.
Work Not considered as service learning:
- Babysitting, Dog-sitting
- Personal favors to friends or family
- Helping teachers grade homework or make copies
- Paid work
To view a list of current service learning opportunities for our Upper School students, please click on this link:
Service Learning Opportunities
Service Learning Verification Form
Recording Service Hours
To record service learning hours Pine Lake Preparatory is utilizing the Presidential Service Awards site. Please choose the link below to register as a participate and record hours. To receive credit for the hours please ensure that all information is completed. All information will be audited for accuracy.
Presidential Service Awards
Please follow the below steps to register as a participant on the Presidential website:
- Log on to www.presidentialservivceawards.gov
- Click on "Get Involved"
- From the drop down, click on "Volunteers"
- Scroll down and click on the blue button "Register"
- Complete your information and the "Submit Application"
- One you have been confirmed, click on "My Profile" and scroll down to Record of Service Key and click on "Add"
- Enter PLP's key: RCT-35984
- ** Very Important Step** For Record of Service Key, enter PLP's key: RCT-35984. This is very important - as you will not receive credit for PLP if you do not enter this information.
Once you are logged in, follow the below steps to begin recording your service hours:
- Click on "My Service"
- Click on "Add Activity"
- Enter information regarding your service learning activity
- Click on "Save"
Presidential Volunteer Service Awards
The President's Volunteer Service Award is the premier volunteer awards program, encouraging United States citizens or lawfully admitted permanent residents of the United States through presidential recognition to live a life of service.