Enrollment/Lottery for Pine Lake Preparatory
Pine Lake Preparatory's enrollment is based on the lottery system. The lottery for the 2017-2018 academic year is now closed, effective January 31, 2017.
Click here to view Pine Lake Preparatory's Enrollment Policy. The North Carolina General Statute 115C-218.45 Admission Requirements for Charter Schools is summarized below (click here to view the full statute):
- Any child who is qualified under the laws of this State for admission to a public school is qualified for admission to a charter school.
- No local board of education shall require any student enrolled in the local school administrative unit to attend a charter school.
- Admission to a charter school shall not be determined according to the school attendance area in which a student resides, except that any local school administrative unit in which a public school converts to a charter school shall give admission preference to students who reside within the former attendance area of that school.
- Admission to a charter school shall not be determined according to the local school administrative unit in which a student resides.
- A charter school shall not discriminate against any student on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, gender, or disability. Except as otherwise provided by law or the mission of the school as set out in the charter, the school shall not limit admission to students on the basis of intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, disability, race, creed, gender, national origin, religion, or ancestry. Within one year after the charter school begins operation, the charter school shall make efforts for the population of the school to reasonably reflect the racial and ethnic composition of the general population residing within the local school administrative unit in which the school is located or the racial and ethnic composition of the special population that the school seeks to serve residing within the local school administrative unit in which the school is located. The school shall be subject to any court-ordered desegregation plan in effect for the local school administrative unit.
- During each period of enrollment, the charter school shall enroll an eligible student who submits a timely application, unless the number of applications exceeds the capacity of a program, class, grade level, or building. In this case, students shall be accepted by lot. Once enrolled, students are not required to reapply in subsequent enrollment periods.
- Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, a charter school may refuse admission to any student who has been expelled or suspended from a public school under G.S. 115C-390.5 through G.S. 115C-390.11 until the period of suspension or expulsion has expired.
Applications for the 2017-2018 Sibling Lottery and General Admission Lottery will be available beginning November 1, 2016. The online application process closed at 10 p.m. on January 31, 2017. Only one application per child will be accepted.
Only apply once per child. Submitting duplicate applications will result in disqualifying the student’s application. All applicants to the lottery must be North Carolina residents at time of the lottery with a physical North Carolina address. Children must turn 5 years old on or before August 31, 2017 to apply to Kindergarten.
Siblings with shared birth dates (twins, triplets, etc.) will be pulled in sequential order. For example when twins apply, our computer script identifies the twins prior to lottery. If one is pulled as wait list number 43, the other twin will be automatically numbered wait list number 44. Then the random ordering of the other names will continue. An application needs to be completed for each multiple birth child. Please remember to complete the multiple birth sibling section for each child.
Parents will receive an email confirmation from Google (not Pine Lake) that their child’s online application has been submitted successfully. An edit button appears at the top of this confirmation in case you should need to edit your application. Names are then entered into a computer database and pulled at the General Lottery held in February. Students are assigned a wait list number based on the order in which their name is pulled for the grade they are applying for. This will be the wait list number for the year. If one child in a family receives an offer, siblings will only receive an offer if their wait list number moves up to an offer for the grade they are applying. They will be considered “siblings” for the next year (after one child in the family is attending) and must apply to the sibling lottery for the following academic year. Per state law, North Carolina Charter Schools are not permitted to carry-over wait lists year to year; therefore, it is necessary to apply for each school year.
Once one child in the family is a member of the Pine Lake Community, siblings of enrolled students receive preferred enrollment status the following year. All students are required by NC Charter School law to complete an application for admission. Applications for siblings are available online from November 1st to January 31st. The siblings will receive a wait list number or offer for enrollment after the sibling lottery is held in February. Siblings of currently enrolled students are offered placement in the appropriate grade, if space is available in that grade for the following school year.
Once enrolled, students remain enrolled until a parent withdraws a student by contacting the Registrar’s office. When a student withdraws, space becomes available in that grade and a call or email is placed to the next person on the wait list. The calls/emails continue until the position is filled. Each year school leadership determines how far into the academic year to continue making offers as positions become available. Factors that affect the decision include space, supplies, and grade level.
Parents who miss the online application window (Nov 1st to Jan 31st), may stop by the school AFTER the lottery in February and complete a post online application. They will be numbered in the order they are received and assigned wait list numbers after the last wait list number from the computer generated lottery.
Parents may attend the lottery, but attendance is not required. Attending the lottery does not improve chances of admission. Families will be notified by mail regarding their lottery number within three weeks following the day of the lottery. Lottery results will also be posted on PLP’s website in a PDF format the week following the day of the lottery. The PDF will contain the Personal Code (created by the parent while filling out the online application) and the Wait List Number per grade level.
Sibling Lottery and General Lottery will be held in the Upper School Seminar Room on the following dates:
Sibling Lottery - Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 7 pm
General Lottery - Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 9 am
Tours and Open Houses
Kindergarten - Grade 5 tours/open houses will be hosted at 9:00 am on Wednesday, November 30, 2016, and Thursday, January 19, 2017. Please meet in the Lower School lobby upon arrival. Please park along the circle by the Lower School in the left hand lane. Do not park in the numbered spots as these belong to students and staff. Additional Kindergarten - Grade 5 and all Grade 6 - Grade 11 tours/open houses will be held after the lottery for those who have received an offer or have high odds of getting an offer.
Principals, Assistant Principals and teachers are available to answer questions during these sessions.
If you have lottery or admission questions, please send an e-mail to Jamie Connotillo, Registrar, at Registrar@pinelakeprep.org.
Please read our FAQ for any questions you may have about the Lottery.
Frequently Asked Questions